Wednesday, May 15, 2013

[23] "Trial Separation, or Five Classy Ways to Deal with a Cheating Husband"





Trial Separation, or Five Classy Ways to Deal with a Cheating Husband
By Deidre Price

ONE
I'll paint a chalk menu on the wall,
write seven dishes to cook this week—
one for every woman you had
instead of me.
I'll knead memories in pie crusts,
top them with tall, meringued fantasies,
after folding in some of mine
with some of yours.

TWO
I'll double starch your collars
when I press the shirts
with seven shades of lipstick on them,
all but mine.
I'll launder our wedding day,
the births of our children.
I'll keep washing and pressing
to get the truth out.

THREE
I'll wipe down your dash,
shred glovebox receipts,
collect clues from the floorboards.
I'll see seven cities on the map,
note you as both Lewis and Clark,
believe that I was strong enough to stay
in a place you never could:
home.

FOUR
I'll let you grab my ass
when I do your dishes
because the children might see.

FIVE
I'll set all the alarms in the house,
ring your front desk for a wake-up call,
put that laundry on the line,
knock the privacy fence down,
write our address on the Parade of Homes,
put the proof on the coffee table,
turn on the floodlights.
We'll all see or go blind trying.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for showing us love!